The St Mary’s Cottages & Shelford House development is within the Prittlewell Conservation Area in Southend-on-Sea. The 6 Almshouses that form St Mary’s cottages date from 1896 and are considered to be of local architectural merit. The scheme incorporates a variety of Supported Housing dwellings.
The existing Almshouses have been carefully renovated to form 3 Independent Living dwellings for elderly people.
The new section of the development is designed to integrate within the Victorian streetscape of the surrounding Conservation Area through the use of traditional brickwork, render and clay roof tiles. It incorporates 13 one-bedroom Supported Living flats for people with mental health and learning difficulties, with associated support staff accommodation. Adjacent to this is a Respite Care unit with 4 bedsits, communal facilities and staff accommodation.
Two interlinked town houses complete the complex and provide 8 bedsits for elderly people, together with kitchen/diner, lounge, other communal areas and a management suite.
Each part of the development has its own communal garden.
The new development incorporates a solar hot water system and achieved Code for Sustainable Homes Level 3.