The developer for the Rochester Riverside regeneration project was keen to place independent living for older people at the heart of the masterplan.
Anchor Housing were their ideal partner and they appointed us to design this key building at the centre of this new community. All 101 apartments are within walking distance of Rochester station, and those on upper floors have panoramic views of the historic town centre and across the river.
With our vast experience of elderly persons housing, we were able to achieve the following:
- Maximised the number of flats for our client whilst meeting their needs for on-site facilities.
- Agreed a contemporary design approach for a 3 to 6 storey building with Medway Council’s urban design officer, which he supported through the planning process.
- Our modern design communicated its reference to the local architecture and its past.
- Fronting the design team, we could establish the design and construction principles at an early stage, to inform the client of construction costs, saving time when going to tender.
- Our knowledge of the project and construction design skills led us to be taken on by the contractors, Hill Partnership who are now building it on site.