St Aubyn's School is an independent co-educational preparatory day school with 500 pupils ranging in age from 3 to 13+. Founded in 1884, it is one of the oldest preparatory schools in the country and set in 8 acres of land within the Woodford Green Conservation Area.
The Tooley & Foster Partnership were executive architects for this school extension, providing technical design and working drawings to contractor Kind & Co. The extension – three inter-related buildings - includes a dining hall, kitchen, staff room, meeting/rehearsal space and associated ancillary facilities.
We were required by the planners to achieve Excellent or Very Good for most elements of BREEAM, including energy use. Increased levels of insulation have resulted in low fuel bills for the school while sensitive attention to the design of natural ventilation in the dining hall ensures comfortable conditions even during heatwaves.