The elegant Ship building in Uphall was designed by the Architects to the Borough of Ilford in 1934, although no individual name has been traced. It was built for the teaching of domestic subjects but had stood empty since 1983.
The Tooley & Foster Partnership were commissioned to refurbish the envelope and convert it to a self-contained nursery unit.
The simple axial plan has been retained but the internal arrangement modified by opening-up spaces to provide greater visibility between areas.
- Published by English Heritage in ‘England’s Schools – History, architecture and adaptation’ in 2010
- Civic Trust Commendation 2000