The Practice has been involved with mixed use developments for many years, gaining vital experience in the early years of speculative office and retail developments leading up to the recession in the 1990s, after which they became incorporated into mixed use developments.
Our expertise across a wide range of sectors has enabled us to identify the key requirements when designing mixed use developments involving retail, offices and private and affordable homes.
Other mixed use developments have included the re-modelling of old church buildings incorporating new multi-functional halls, day nurseries and residential accommodation; communal offices with a café and affordable housing; and key worker flats over office accommodation.
A SELECTION OF CURRENT SCHEMES:
• A scheme in Hackney for Landhold Properties Ltd, consisting of A1/A2/A3 use at ground and basement levels, B1 use at first floor and 17 private and 9 affordable flats on 6 floors above first.
• 39 bedroom Hotel, with 4 serviced apartments, ancillary restaurant and café; a retail unit and retail/showroom with communal roof garden, in Whitechapel Road – the London 2012 Olympic ‘High Street’.
• Redevelopment of the Leigh Industrial Estate in Maldon to create 8 affordable B1/B8 units, a large retail showroom to define the corner of the site, 21 affordable homes and a 100+ room Hotel, with associated on site car parking.
• 78 flats (55 private and 23 affordable) for Croft Homes in Bedford consisting of a refurbishment of an existing office building and roof top extensions for penthouse flats.
• Various Mixed Use Church projects.
A SELECTION OF COMPLETED PROJECTS:
• 39 flats and 6 shops in the heart of Enfield Town Centre for Christian Action HA, being developed by Mansells.
• Downs Road Church complex in Hackney, with 11, one & two bed flats above.
• New Church building with retention of existing Listed front and side façades, Day Nursery and 28 affordable flats in Wandsworth Road, SW8, for London & Quadrant HA.
• Refurbishment of 4 existing first and second floor maisonettes and the addition of one new maisonette, plus office refurbishment and extension to ground floor retail unit, in Seaford for Western Ridge Properties Ltd.
• Phase 2 of Verve Properties’ Paintworks Project in Bristol:- the creation of 15 smaller commercial units from the division of 3 original large units, within a similar building footprint; a 1920s office refurbishment and extension over existing roof spaces for retail use, and 7 residential units.
• 99 flats (74 private and 25 affordable), retail units and offices, in Southwark Bridge Road, for Galliard Homes.
• 12, one & two bed flats and new Church Hall at St Francis of Assisi in Barkingside.
• 20 flats and bedsits with communal offices and a café in Nags Head Road, Enfield, for Christian Action HA.
• A 12 GP surgery with attached Church in Luton – the first Health Centre run by SSAFA (Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association).
• A contemporary development for Telford Homes near Angel and Islington, providing office and retail space and 57 residential apartments, 14 of which are affordable.
• Sixth Form Centre and 10 Key Worker Flats on Salisbury School grounds in Enfield.
• Residential Key Worker Flats and main offices for Christian Action HA on the site of the previous boiler house of the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield Island Village.
• Sydenham House in Harlow, provides a new Day Surgery, GP Practice, Post-Hospitalisation Convalescing Care facilities and a Children’s Nursery.
• International Green Apple Award for the Built Environment and Architectural Heritage 2009.